Thursday 30 December 2010

An introduction

I like art and I like books, so this blog is intended as a companion to my well-established book collecting blog, Books to Furnish a Room.  Its title was derived from one of Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time Novels, my favourite series of books and where I started off as a collector.  I have always been interested in Art (visually and historically), but I began to collect only a few years ago, mainly for display and pleasure but with one eye at least on investment value.  Like many collectors, I started with limited edition prints and then gradually moved into original works and other genres.  Now, I have more than I can display at any one time, but I roatate my collection and occasionally pieces leave so that others can come in.

This will be an occasional blog, intended to provide a record of my collection and other works I am interested in.  It is mainly for my own benefit, but might be of interest to others from time to time.  Art, like literature,can bring a smile or provoke serious thought.  The technical skill of the artist mirrors that of the writer: either can portray in a realistic way or provide an impression that goes beyond the superficial created image through skillful use of the medium of choice.  I suspect my first love will always be the written word, but art will always be important in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment